Tuesday, November 6, 2012

2012 Presidential Election: Electoral Map and Other Thoughts

Like I did on my old blog in 2008, I'm making my nonpartisan prediction of how the Presidential race will shake out, which you can alternately nod your head or laugh at.  You can find it here:

2012 Presidential Election: Electoral Map

Basically, I have President Obama winning the Electoral College vote 277-261.  The states break down like this:

Obama states: Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, New Mexico, Nevada, New Mexico, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, District of Columbia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine.

Romney states: Alaska, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, New Hampshire.

How do y'all think it will turn out?

A few other scattershot thoughts from me on the election--most of which I promise is minimally partisan:

A colleague and buddy of mine in town reminded me this about the election: "No matter what happens, God is in control."  There's some real truth in that.

It's very meaningful to me that, for the third election in a row, we have a demographically uncommon candidate, and the first election where we have two demographically uncommon candidates--an African-American and a Mormon.  In 2004, Senator John Kerry was only the third Roman Catholic to run as the nominee of a major ticket (after Democrats Al Smith in 1928 and John F. Kennedy in 1960), and of course, President Obama ran in 2008, so you'd have to go back to the Bush/Gore race of 2000 for the last time both major candidates were WASPs.  I wonder what--and who--2016 might bring outside of the WASP mold.

One of the reasons I am most glad that the election is almost over is because, hopefully, we'll be done with old white men feeling the inexplicable need to pontificate publicly on rape-induced pregnancies.

If President Obama is re-elected, I'll bet anyone who reads this a coffee at Zojo's (sorry if you're not here in Longview!) that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg tenders her resignation from the Supreme Court by this time in 2013.

"And God spaketh unto America, and proclaimed, 'You shall vote straight party ticket in every election...'" said the Bible, never.

And if you haven't yet voted and are able to do so, please vote!  It's important...as my high school AP Government teacher taught me, the highest calling of any American is that of citizen!

Yours in Christ,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment