Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston

Dear readers,

I have a couple of blog posts in the pipeline for this week after being gone for the weekend, but for the moment, I humbly ask for prayers for the city and people of Boston in the wake of the marathon bombings that have killed multiple people and left many more injured--in some cases, severely so.  My sister Katherine is currently a graduate student at Boston University (she's safe and fine), and I had the great joy of competing in Boston during my days as a debater, and so the city holds a special place in my life.

In other words, things like these hit home.

In ways that perhaps other things should, but sadly don't.  I'm definitely guilty of this--it's sometimes hard for me to feel the same sort of personal connection to a bombing elsewhere in the world, even though I know the lives of the people there are worth no less than mine.

Empathy matters in moments like these.  The people who died today and were maimed today have parents and siblings and friends and significant others.

They could be us.

And if for no other reason than that, please lift them up to God today.

Yours in Christ,
Eric

"Thus says the LORD: A voice is heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping.  Rachel is weeping for her children; she refuses to be comforted for her children, because they are no more." -Jeremiah 31:15

No comments:

Post a Comment