Thursday, May 9, 2013

Letters from the Soul: This Month's Newsletter Column


“My Mom’s Greatest Hits”

In honor of Mother’s Day this year, I am offering up a heaping helping of maternal wit and wisdom on the necessity for a day honoring our mothers from my very own mother.  Please enjoy:

Whenever my mom wanted me to do something I really didn’t want to do when I was a kid, she would often play that trump card that is a part of any ethnic mama’s deck: guilt.

“Eric, don’t forget who labored to give birth to you.”

“You didn’t labor to give birth to me, mom, I was a C-section.  You were anesthetized.”

“Yeah, but who carried you for the nine months prior?  More than nine months, in fact, that’s part of the reason you had to be a C-section.”

At which point she basically had me dead to rights and I had to do whatever she asked me to.

Or, for instance, when the month of May rolled around every year:

“Mom, why is there a Mother’s Day?  Shouldn’t that mean there’s a Kid’s Day too?”

“There already is a Kid’s Day, Eric.  Every other day that isn’t Mother’s Day is Kid’s Day.”

Touche, mom.

Finally, because I come from a family of bookworms, the giving of books as gifts is a time-honored practice in my family.  In response to one such gift, my mom said:

“Thanks, honey.  It reminds me that I’m still going to write my own book someday.  It’s going to be 500 pages long, and it’s going to be called “My Children Make Me Crazy,” with 250 pages about you and 250 pages about Katherine (my younger sister).”

Mom, if you ever do write that book, you have my permission to use these 310 words to make a small dent into the 250 pages about me.  Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there!

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment