Monday, May 7, 2012

If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher

...and if you can understand my writing, even more power to you. :)

So it turns out that this week, May 7-11, 2012, is National Teacher Appreciation Week.

And, even though I protested, at our final preschool chapel here at church last week, the preschoolers insisted that I was a teacher as well, just like their regular preschool teachers.  It was very sweet.

But really, there is in fact a lot of overlap between what I do and what our public and private schoolteachers do.  There's a reason why many pastors are referred to as teachers.  If I wanted to be really egomaniacal, I could go on a discourse about how Jesus was referred to as "Teacher," but so was Sir Leigh Teabing in the Da Vinci Code, so, you know, it cuts both ways.

As a student, I tended to express my appreciation for my teachers with time-honored behaviors like not paying attention in class, turning in my homework late, and doodling cartoon caricatures of them as '60s-era hippies on the back of said late homework (sorry, Mr. Spurlock.  It was my way of voicing my opposition to the existence of precalculus).

But there is more than a germ of truth to the cliche that it takes a village to raise a child.  And there is no way that you would be able to read the mildly deranged ramblings of a young solo pastor if that pastor didn't take high school English seriously.  So, I want to offer a quick shout out to just a few of the greatest teachers I benefited from during my vaguely meaningful time in America's public school system...

First and foremost to my high school band director, Steve Adams.  Marching band under him gave me not only a sense of purpose, but an irritating case of obsessive compulsiveness.  But band truly was my saving grace in high school.

To my high school speech and debate coaches, Scott Sowers, Jo Ball, and Cathy Wood.  Their guidance, support, and tough love gave me the skills to not only be good at public speaking, but to actually enjoy it, and to turn it into a wonderful scholarship opportunity in college.

To my junior high school gifted education teacher and debate coach, Stan Stern.  Not many teachers would let you get away with designing a video game with your best friend as a part of your individual exploration curriculum; even fewer would encourage that sort of creativity.

To all of my math and science teachers after about, oh, the seventh grade...I'm sorry.  It isn't that my religion was opposed to your fields of study, it's that my brain and work ethic were.

And this is to say nothing of the plethora of religious teachers who I appreciate on a daily basis.  But then the Establishment Clause police would probably come and read me Miranda if I conflated the two ("Eric Atcheson, you have the right to remain religious.  Anything you say can and will be held against you at the Final Judgment.  You have the right to a Messiah.  If you cannot afford a Messiah, then you should probably stop listening to the Prosperity Gospel...")

Teachers rock, y'all.  Let one know how much you appreciate them.

Yours in Christ,
Eric

PS: In case you're wondering--these days, the pastor prefers a nice latte, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment