Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Letters from the Soul: This Month's Newsletter Column

...plus a brief note about Memorial Day.

"School's Out--Here's Some Summer Homework!"

If you are anything like me, summer is a time to try to take a step back, take stock, and smell the proverbial roses. Part of that process for me has always involved reading—I’m a lifelong bookworm—and given the number of teachers, librarians, and other education-related professionals we boast in our congregation, I hope that you may potentially appreciate me plugging the value of reading by offering a brief list of books that I highly recommend right now:

It’s Not All About You: Young Adults Seeking Justice,” edited by Julie Richardson Brown and Courtney Richards, 2012

One of the characteristics I love most about our church is our commitment to mission in the local community, and this newly-released book is a compilation of accounts from many people my age about their own efforts to make the world a better place in their respective communities. Read their stories, be inspired, and hear how our generation talks about outreach and mission!

Blue Like Jazz,” by Donald Miller, 2003

This isn’t a new book by any means, but the movie adaptation of Donald Miller’s compilation of memories and essays was just made into a movie this spring (with the same name), so I plan on revisiting his book soon. His words are insightful, funny, and uplifting all at the same time.

The Collected Sermons of Fred B. Craddock,” by Fred Craddock, 2011

In the world of preaching, Disciples pastor and professor Fred Craddock is a superstar. He has ministered for many years, and his wit and sense of humor makes his preaching very engaging to both hear and read. I saw him preach last year at our General Assembly and loved it!

So, that is what will be on my shelf this summer. What about you?

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Eric


"The Last Full Measure of Devotion"

Several years ago, I visited for the first time ever the grave of my uncle Albert at my family's plot in a cemetery in Troy, Michigan. He is buried across a small, grassy way from my grandmother and great-grandparents, surrounded by fellow veterans who, like him, were killed in action in World War II. It was a profound moment that is difficult to describe in words, but thankfully, we have a day set aside to give space for such profound emotion and honor on behalf of those who have given what Abraham Lincoln calls "the last full measure of devotion."

This past Monday, we and the nation commemorated another Memorial Day in honor of those veterans who have passed away. Most, if not all, of you have veterans either in your family or your circle of friends, and we count a number of veterans as members of FCC.

To those veterans, and those who have come before us, thank you. ~Pastor Eric

Finally, on a more personal note, it is 364 days until Memorial Day 2013. Please do not let it be 364 days before you thank a veteran for his or her service. So to my late uncle Albert, and my grandpa George, and my aunt Leanne--veterans all--thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment